Children's welfare is always the paramount concern in any separation. This can be a difficult decision for parents, but there are ways to make it easier for you and your children. One option might be consulting with experienced children law solicitors like Lund Bennett Law, who will work closely together as part of our commitment towards achieving positive outcomes for you and your children.

Lund Bennett Law is here to help you obtain Prohibited Steps Orders when necessary, which prevent one parent from doing certain things. We also provide assistance finding solutions through specific issue orders, i.e. regarding schooling choices and dealing with child relocation cases on a national and international basis. To speak to our team, call 0161 924 0079, or send us a message via our contact form


Family Problems? We can help.

Speak to our specialist family lawyers for fixed price advice and guidance


You will get..

  • Best advice on all family law matters
  • Support and guidance on next steps
  • Transparent pricing and fixed fee's available

family problems

Call us now on:


How can we help?

Contact us for an initial consultation

By clicking submit below, you are agreeing to our websites terms and conditions which can be seen on our Privacy Policy page.


What is a Child Arrangement Order?

A Child Arrangement Order is a court order which can be obtained if two parents are separating or entering a divorce. It will detail where one or multiple children will live and how much time they will spend with either parent. It can also include restrictions on how much and what type of contact either parent can have with their child.

If you wish to apply for a Child Arrangement Order in England or Wales, you will be required to pay a court fee of £232. In most cases, a Child Arrangement Order lasts until a child turns 16 or 18 if the child is vulnerable.

What is a Prohibited Steps Order?

A Prohibited Steps Order is a court order which prevents you’re the other parent from making a particular decision unilaterally. For example, changing a child’s school. You may wish to apply for a Prohibited Steps Order through your family law solicitor.


When can a Specific Issue Order be issued?

If you and your co-parent cannot agree on a specific arrangement, i.e. your child’s education, name change or medical treatment, you can obtain a Specific Issue Order from the Court, which is where the court gives directions on a specific issue that has arisen or may arise.

A Prohibited Steps Order and a Specific Issue Order can be obtained on an urgent basis if the court considers it an emergency.

If the issue is not considered an emergency, the court will give you an opportunity to resolve matters amicably however if you are unable to reach an agreement, you will be asked to prepare and submit statements. At a final court hearing the judge will make a decision in the child’s best interest.


How can I change my child’s name?

If your child is a resident of England or Wales, you can change their surname via a formal document called Deed Poll. To apply for a change of name by Deed Poll, you will need to complete a witnessed application form signed by yourself and your co-parent.

Everyone with parental responsibility will need to agree to your child’s name change in writing. If you cannot obtain consent from other parties with parental responsibility, the Court may permit you to go ahead with the name change through a Specific Issue Order.

Together with my children, I want to relocate to a new address in the UK. Do I need the other parent’s permission?

Yes. If there is already an existing Child Arrangement Order in place, you should apply for a variation of the order. If there is no order in place, you should apply for a Specific Issue Order and Child Arrangements Order.

Why should I contact Lund Bennett Law’s children law solicitors for help?

When children are involved in any separation or divorce, it can be quite difficult to understand what process you need to go through and any restrictions in place that you have to adhere to as a co-parent. Our friendly, specialist children law team at Lund Bennett Law are here to guide you through the process and offer the best advice based on your circumstances.

Call 0161 924 0079 to arrange your first appointment, or get in touch via our contact form. We will ensure that your requirements are dealt with professionally and confidentially at all times.

Contact us on 0161 924 0079 for your no-obligation consultation.