It is important to have a child maintenance solicitor on your side who can help guide you through the process and ensure that you receive the payment you are entitled to. At Lund Bennett Law, we understand that child maintenance can be a sensitive issue, and our solicitors will work hard to get you the best possible outcome.

We pride ourselves on giving each client the attention they deserve. In most cases, the payment of maintenance for children is governed by the Child Support Agency and involves a statutory calculation. This is one of several matters, along with disputes concerning the care of children Lund Bennett Law will be able to assist you with.

Our team of expert child maintenance solicitors will be happy to discuss your child maintenance case in more detail. Contact our offices on 0161 924 0079, or send us a message via our contact form

Family Problems? We can help.

Speak to our specialist family lawyers for fixed price advice and guidance


You will get..

  • Best advice on all family law matters
  • Support and guidance on next steps
  • Transparent pricing and fixed fee's available

family problems

Call us now on:


How can we help?

Contact us for an initial consultation

By clicking submit below, you are agreeing to our websites terms and conditions which can be seen on our Privacy Policy page.


What does child maintenance mean?

Child maintenance refers to an agreement between you and your co-parent. It can be privately made or arranged through the government’s Child Maintenance Service.

Two parents will generally enter into a child maintenance agreement if they decide to separate or decide not to live together as a couple. Either parent is responsible for contributing to the living costs of raising their child regardless of whether the child lives with them or not.

Child maintenance payments arranged through the Child Maintenance Service will be made until the child turns 16, or 20 if they are in full-time education. However, you can continue to make payments indefinitely if you have formed a private arrangement with your co-parent, i.e. as part of your separation agreement.

How does the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) work?

If you cannot agree on the living cost contributions towards raising your child, the Child Maintenance Service will calculate a maintenance cost with payments completed by both parents on a fixed payment schedule.

They also have the power to review your circumstances and take action if you or your co-parent fail to make payments on time.


Who can apply for child maintenance?

You’re eligible to apply for child maintenance if you are the parents, legal guardian or grandparent of a child. Child maintenance is paid for children under 16, or up to 20 years old if in full-time education.

How are child maintenance payments calculated?

To calculate child maintenance payments, you will need to share information about your co-parent’s income, benefits and the number of nights your child (or children) stay at their house.

You can use the child maintenance calculator on the government website to calculate an estimate.

How can I apply for child maintenance?

If you need help arranging child maintenance payments or resolving any disputes relating to child support, it is advisable to speak to specialist family law solicitors. Lund Bennett Law can provide you with the advice and support you need to get the best outcome for your situation. We have extensive experience in child support disputes and child maintenance cases and can guide you through every step of the process. You can call us on 0161 924 0079, or request a callback.

How do I appeal a court order on child maintenance payments?

If you wish to appeal a decision about your child maintenance payments, you will need to contact the Child Maintenance Service and request for them to carry out a mandatory reconsideration.

However, if you disagree with the outcome of this request, you can make a formal appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal within one month of your mandatory reconsideration request being decided.

This will involve filling in an SSCS2 form, providing evidence and potentially attending a tribunal hearing to explain your case. You may wish to have a child maintenance solicitor support you with your appeal.


What happens if my co-parent refuses to pay child maintenance?

If the paying parent makes direct child maintenance payments through the Child Maintenance Service, they will be able to take action and ask the non-paying parent to pay additional charges.

If your arrangement was made in private, your solicitor will be able to assist you with any child support disputes.

Why should I contact Lund Bennett Law’s child maintenance solicitors for help?

While child support payments are required by law, many parents find it difficult to make child support agreements stick. If you are expecting child maintenance to be paid in full and on time, Lund Bennett Law will be able to help. Our team is ready to answer your child maintenance questions. Call 0161 924 0079 to speak to us directly or get in touch via our contact form.

Contact us on 0161 924 0079 for your no-obligation consultation.